EASY TOMATO BASIL SOUP and RADISH SANDWICH
EASY TOMATO BASIL SOUP - serves 4-6
1 teaspoon olive oil optional, you can use a drop of water to sauté instead to keep the recipe oil free
1 medium onion chopped
3 large cloves of garlic chopped very finely I like lots of garlic so used 4 but adjust to suit your tastes
7 cups / 1400 g of chopped fresh tomatoes see recipe notes
1 handful of basil leaves and stalks are fine
2 teaspoons salt adjust to taste
1 teaspoon pepper adjust to taste
Heat a pan over a medium heat and add the oil or a couple tablespons of water.
When hot add the onions and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes until just starting to turn golden.
Add the chopped tomatoes. Continue to cook over a medium heat, stirring every few minutes until the tomatoes have broken down and are soft.
Remove from the heat and add basil and salt and pepper then blitz in a blender or with a stick immersion blender until smooth.
I have tried this recipe with large tomatoes and grape/cherry tomatoes and it works well with both, or even a mixture of the two.
Leftovers will keep int he fridge for 4 to 5 days and reheat really well in a pan or in a microwave.
RADISH SANDWICH - serves 4
Steven Satterfield, the chef at Miller Union in Atlanta, included this very French picnic recipe in his cookbook, "Root to Leaf." As he points out, the key is to use a lot of butter, a lot of radishes and plenty of salt.
- 1 baguette
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons flaky sea salt, like Maldon
- 2 bunches radishes, washed, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 small handful arugula
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh garden herbs, like chives or tarragon
- Slice the baguette lengthwise and then crosswise, creating four quarters. Spread butter on the tops and bottoms of each quarter and sprinkle with salt. Pile sliced radishes onto the bottoms, then lay the arugula on top of them and sprinkle with the herbs. Top the sandwiches and press them down firmly.
- Serve as is, cut into small sandwiches and/or wrap for lunch.