CREAMY VEGAN CHOWDER & SLOW COOKER MUSHROOM RICE
CREAMY VEGAN CHOWDER
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 Yukon gold potato, chopped
- 4 ears fresh sweet corn, husked
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, or white wine vinegar
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk (or 1¾ cups whole milk)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- Reserve some corn kernels and diced red pepper for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and a few pinches of salt.
- Cook until soft, then add the garlic, celery, and potatoes.
- Slice the kernels off the corn, then use the back of your knife to scrape the juices off of the corn cob and add to the pot. Add the red pepper, celery salt, paprika, a pinch of salt, black pepper, and stir. Cook until the potatoes are slightly softened, about 5 minutes, then add the sherry vinegar, vegetable broth, and coconut milk.
- Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 more minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then transfer half the soup to a blender. Blend until creamy then return it back to the pot and stir.
- Taste and adjust seasonings and serve with chopped chives.
SLOW COOKER MUSHROOM RICE
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups vegetable or beef broth
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
In a heavy bottomed pot add 2 tablespoons of butter and the mushrooms.
Cook on medium high for 3-5 minutes or until they start to caramelize.
Stir and cook an additional 3 minutes.
Remove the mushrooms and put them into the slow cooker.
Add in the onions, salt, pepper and thyme along with the last tablespoon of butter and cook on medium for 3-5 minutes or until they start to turn golden brown.
Add in the garlic, stir and cook for 1 minute.
Scrape the onion garlic mixture into the slow cooker.
Add in the rice and broth.
Cook on high for 2 hours.