BROCCOLI SOUP WITH APPLE CABBAGE SLAW
February 8, 2017
- · 1 tablespoon olive oil
- · 1 large onion, chopped
- · 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- · 1 24 oz frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- · 2 stalks celery
- · 1 Large (14oz) russet potato, peeled and chopped
- · 4 cups vegetable broth
- · 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- · salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, and saute onion and garlic until tender. Mix in broccoli, potato, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
2. With a hand mixer or in a blender, puree the mixture until smooth. Return to the saucepan, and reheat. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- a dollop of sour cream or a swirl of heavy cream,
- Grated cheddar cheese or any cheese you prefer
Easy Apple Cabbage Slaw
- · 1 small head cabbage, cored and finely chopped
- · 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced thin
- · 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- · 1/2 cup white sugar
- · 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- · 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- · 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. Toss cabbage, apple, and onions together in a large bowl.
2. Whisk vinegar, sugar, olive oil, vegetable oil, Dijon mustard, and red pepper flakes together in a saucepan over medium heat; bring dressing to a simmer. Pour hot dressing over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until flavors blend and slaw is cold, at least 1 hour.